Monday, June 23, 2014

Mary Ellen Hopkins challenge and other June photos

There was a lot to show in the basement this month; it seems like everyone had something to show. I can't believe that I forgot my camera but Lori did an excellent job as photographer, better than I do. She said the divas are fast and it isn't easy to get a shot that is not a little blurry but she didn't unintentionally cut of anyone's head.
These first photos are  pieces we have been working on but are not part of the Mary Ellen project.

Diane showed herself to be quite prolific with some large pieces. these first two quilts were made from the same fabrics and they are pretty spectacular.


She has a new Tiara quilting machine and it looks like she has been putting it to good use.








And........  another one of Diane's quilts, her 2014 Jellyroll Race quilt. She put together her own jelly roll this year and turned out to be very nice.





Several of the Divas put together their own jellyrolls for the race and we all agreed that they turned out better this year because of it. You can see photos of Race Day here.




One more of Diane's large pieces, this one is still a flimsy. Does it seem as though Diane might be falling behind?















Here is Gwen with her Bargello Graphix quilt. We all worked on the this technique together  a few years ago when we were meeting in Syd's basement and we didn't have a name yet for our group.





























Lori was sewing the final seams on her Subway quilt, she has been working on this for a while, sewing together all of those individual squares. It was well worth the effort.


 







These are all the completed "Pockets to Go" that everyone worked on last month. This is not really all of them as several were gifted to friends or family already. I yet have to make even one but I plan to make one (or more) for myself and to give away.
The rest of the photos are all from our Mary Ellen Hopkins challenge. As Kathy said we would not be where we are in our quilting journey without her. My first quilt was pieced and I thought it would be the only quilt I ever made. I visited the quilt shop from time to time and  I took the It's OK class and I was hooked. I am sure it was that way for many people. Mary Ellens books and the Quilt Sitters Circle offerings kept us inspired and we kept on making quilts.

This is one of Kathy's small pieces I see another under her arm but there is no photo of that one.







Lynn had 2 flimsies this one that she is holding is made with Kansas dugout blocks using her hand dyed fabric.

The second flimsy below is from Mary Ellen's Hidden Wells pattern. I love all the floral fabrics in this piece and I oohed and aahed  about it and Lynn gave it to me. I hesitated to take it but I finally gave in and it is now mine. If you could see me you would see a very big smile.








Maryann also made a Hidden Wells quilt. she has it layered up and ready to quilt.














On the left, we have Gwen's pink and green quilt with bowtie and 4 patch blocks and sporting a floral border.
My flimsy is on the right. It is Mary Ellen's Metamorphosis pattern from one of her "Connecting Up" books.



















This colorful piece on the left is Judy's; it is layered up and ready to quilt. I am not sure what the pattern is but I see connector corners in there. I think the piece next to it belongs to Suzie. Could this be another "Hidden Wells" with sashing? I'm sorry if  I am not getting things right; chalk it up to old age. Blogger is starting to give me a few problems too. I am losing text and having trouble moving photos. Probably because of a photo heavy post.










This is Jan's "Bricks and Mortar" flimsy. I remember this pattern from Quilt Sitters Circle.It's one I thought I would like to make but I never got around to it.





She cut a lot of rectangles and has started putting them together for another piece.













Could this be another one of Diane's pieces? Yes, it is! This is her tribute to Mary Ellen.















Here is Kathy below with the little quilt she was holding under her arm in the other photo.








Fran is holding her flimsy. I see large 4 patches and double 4 patch blocks. It is set on point with floral fabric. I think setting blocks on point was one of Mary Ellen's favorite ways to set a quilt.










I hope I am right that this little piece belongs to Lori. if not maybe someone will correct my error.






 I know the next two belong to Lori they are front and back of her quilt. I am not sure of the pattern but it reminds me of a chain link fence. Could that be the name?



 It looks like a lot of work with a lot of connector corners. Lori hit the muckled fabric concept right on. She said she had been saving it for a long time to use as a muckled fabric background for a Mary Ellen quilt.















The last shot is the back of Lori's quilt. I love the bikini print strips at the bottom.






A few of these are completely finished already and hopefully the rest will be ready by November to hang in the Tribute to Mary Ellen Hopkins at the Wildwood show in Mentor, Ohio.




 Mary Ellen may not have been the first to use strip piecing but she made it popular and her book "It's OK if You Sit On My Quilt" drew us into the process. Her very clever Quilt Sitters Circle offerings at the local quilt shops kept us coming back for more and we waited eagerly for each new book. To attend one of for lectures was pure fun and we were fortunate that she came to our area for classes more than once.

Ruth




3 comments:

  1. Diane's two orange pieces were done some time ago. She brought them to our now defunct Quilter's Development Program where we apparently told her not to use one as the back of the other, now 2 fantastic quilts.Her beautiful aqua "flimsey" was started this winter at Mary Huey's pineapple class at Lake Farm park.(Marti Mitchell templates) Her gold and aqua Mary Ellen piece was from a handout for QSC that non of the rest of us recall seeing. The blocks were done but she had lost the road map for construction. Lucky Fran had it. My pieces are old. The red and cream piece was made at a Mary Ellen retreat as was Lori's tumbling blocks (with the black back ground) Judy's was from a book and Susie's was either a hand out or a book.Gwen's and Lori's both from a book. Fran's was an early piece that turned out small so she remade it increasing the grid size. It would make a fun baby quilt. Jan's bricks and mortar was started by Syd at a Mary Ellen retreat. Jan won the "kit" in a silent auction held at one of our Amish retreat. Of course Jan then went and cut for the second and probably a third and fourth after our last Diva meeting. We will have full stories and Pattern information at the Wildwood show in November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the blurry pictures, guys. My phone was full and I should have taken more time to test Mike's camera settings. I had a great time Saturday and the show and tell was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super fun day!!!! Dianne

    ReplyDelete