Sunday, April 21, 2013

Giant Dahlia "Judy's Curtains"


I used the Marti Mitchell "Not so Giant Dahlia" template set for this.
Cutting was a breeze. I was so used to marking the starting and stopping dots that I didn't notice that the dots were mostly for lining up and pinning and only a stop and start at the center. I forget to read ALL the instructions sometimes.
Hardest part was the instructions have you pick your center choice first. That set me back a month or so while I dithered. Finally I worked from the outside in which made the selection easier.
My hardest construction issue was that I fussy cut the center pieces and it was hard to control the bias. Then, of course, when I tried to press the issue out there was shrinkage. I quilted a lot of the issues out. Not my best work but I would like to do another. Any Diva wishing to borrow the set to try, just ask.  I call this" Judy's Curtains" because the black and white background print is fabric from Judy's old curtains. It was perfect because you need a busy print to blend the applique.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing the picture thing for me Ruth..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was the only one who failed to read all the instructions.
    I really like this quilt. If you decide to do another one sometime maybe you will give us a demo as you construct the dahlia :)

    ReplyDelete