Sunday, October 21, 2012

challenge

I finally have an idea for our black and white challenge. Seeing what everyone else was doing got me thinking. Later, looking at a piece on my design wall, I found some inspiration. I still have a large piece of the black fabric and some of the other fabric that I bought to use with it. I will probably shop for something more as well.
I bought this book and ruler a long time ago. The date on the inside cover is 1986. I was all reved up when I bought it but I never even tried to make anything. I'm not sure why given my initial enthusiasm. After looking at the black and red piece on my design wall I knew what I had originally intended for the fabric would not do for the challenge. It was very much like the quilts in a series that I made with 9 patch blocks. I started thinking in another direction. This book was laying on my table because I had looked through it this past week as I was looking for ideas. I did not find any inspiration in it at the time and it was only still out because it had gotten covered up with something else on my table. That little hexagon is a practice piece I made to see if I really wanted to do this. I had some 3 inch wide strips laying on my table from a scrap bag I bought last week at the NEORQC meeting. I cut triangles using my 60 degree ruler and sewed them together. I can do this!
I do wish I had settled on this before our meeting because there were Divas there who could have actually helped me and given me some tips. This looks to me a lot like Stack and Whack construction and I was probably the only one there yesterday who had not done any Stack and Whack quilts. Two of the Divas there even taught the class. I wish I didn't always have to do everything the hard way or 10 years after everyone else but the good news is I know where to go if I get stuck.

I would really like to know how and why some of the others settled on their challenge designs.


1 comment:

  1. you know, I posted a comment right away ....where is it?

    ReplyDelete